- Take Action: Tell Your Rep, No War with Iran
- The Real Aim of Israel’s Bomb Iran Campaign
Joe Volk, Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL)
Submitted by Evergreene Digest Contributing Editor Coleen Rowley
A new House resolution could lead to a U.S. war with Iran--even if the bill never becomes law. Please urge your representative to oppose and denounce this resolution.
The resolution, H. Res. 1553, claims to assert Israel's right to defend its sovereignty but actually signals to Israel that the United States will unconditionally back Israeli "use of military force" against Iran. It's a green light to war. Similar extreme resolutions have been introduced before, but this one already has the support of a significant number of representatives-nearly one-third of the Republican caucus. Whatever the conflict between Israel and Iran, war is not the answer.
Why could this resolution lead to war?
If enough members of Congress cosponsor the resolution, Israel could perceive that it has a "green light" to attack Iran in the months ahead.
If Israel attacks Iran, the United States will almost certainly be drawn in, either because Iran retaliates against U.S. forces in the region, or because the United States feels pressure to help Israel if its assault falls short.
H. Res. 1553 is, in effect, a U.S. declaration of war on Iran. Peace between Iran and the United States is still possible through peaceful means, and, today, contrary to this bill's premise, Iran does not pose a nuclear threat to Israel.
Another Middle East war would have catastrophic consequences on the people of the region and on U.S. interests. The Iranian government says that it is not developing nuclear weapons. The Israeli intelligence agency Mossad says that ,even if Iran is secretly developing such weapons, it will not have a deliverable nuclear weapon for four years. Time is on the side of a peacefully negotiated outcome.
Take Action. Urge your representative to denounce H. Res. 1553 as a flagrantly irresponsible encouragement of a catastrophic war with Iran.
Ask five friends to write as well.
The operative part of the resolution states
Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) condemns the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran for its threats of `annihilating' the United States and the State of Israel, for its continued support of international terrorism, and for its incitement of genocide of the Israeli people;
(2) supports using all means of persuading the Government of Iran to stop building and acquiring nuclear weapons;
(3) reaffirms the United States bond with Israel and pledges to continue to work with the Government of Israel and the people of Israel to ensure that their sovereign nation continues to receive critical economic and military assistance, including missile defense capabilities, needed toaddress the threat of Iran; and
(4) expresses support for Israel's right to use all means necessary to confront and eliminate nuclear threats posed by Iran, defend Israeli sovereignty, and protect the lives and safety of the Israeli people, including the use of military force if no other peaceful solution can be found within a reasonable time.
Read the full bill text.
On the 2C blog, FCNL's Jim Fine talks more about how the U.S. could indirectly declare war on Iran.
The Real Aim of Israel’s Bomb Iran Campaign, Gareth Porter, FireDogLake.com
- What is important to understand about this campaign is that the aim of Gerecht and of the right-wing government of Benjamin Netanyahu is to support an attack by Israel so that the United States can be drawn into direct, full-scale war with Iran.
- The Republican back door to war with Iran
- Iran scientist: CIA offered me $50m to lie about nuclear secrets
- Write and speak out! Silence is complicity!