- Morally reprehensible doesn't begin to describe the behavior of a few extremists hell-bent on attacking the Affordable Care Act, no matter how great the cost.
Judith Lichtman, National Partnership for Women and Families
October 11, 2013 | Our government has been shut down for 11 days and counting.
And though politicians are finally talking about a possible deal, with each day that passes, more families are suffering and the country is getting closer to defaulting on its debt... all because a few extremists are hell-bent on attacking the Affordable Care Act, no matter how great the cost.
Morally reprehensible doesn't begin to describe their behavior.
If this makes you angry, then you need to take action. And the best way to make your voice heard is to pick up the phone and call your representative.
The news headlines make you sick to your stomach:
- Cancer patients can’t get potentially life-saving treatment at the National Institutes of Health...
- Nearly nine million low-income women and children are at risk of losing access to nutrition assistance from the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program...
- 19,000 children were shut out of their Head Start classes...
- Countless families are suffering economic hardship...
- As of today, it’s been 11 days of self-inflicted damage to our nation's fragile economy.
Make no mistake: Families are suffering because these extremists in the U.S. House of Representatives are holding our government hostage. They're playing chicken with our economy — with our lives. And they are threatening the full faith and credit of the United States. Over Obamacare.
This must end — NOW! That's why we need you to call your representative right now and urge him or her to continue negotiations to end the government shutdown without undermining health care reform and critical safety net and government programs.
Congress must stop the pain it is causing America’s families and avoid the unnecessary catastrophe of defaulting on our national debt.
Please call 1-888-887-9480 right now — or click here to type in your cell phone number — and we'll patch you through to your representative!
Thanks for all that you do.
Judith Lichtman is a Senior Advisor, National Partnership for Women and Families