- The U.S media has been pitifully remiss in sounding the clarion call alarm regarding this festering, open wound on the American body politic, allowing this sick sectarian infection of fundamentalist Christian fascism to appear “mainstream” and metastasize.
- The lawless religious right: Time to stop caving to their ridiculous tantrums.
- The Evangelical Persecution Complex
Mikey Weinstein, AlterNet
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates from all reader supported Evergreene Digest.
Tony Dungy, former professional American football player and the first African American head coach to win the Super Bowl. (Photo: Brad Ward / Flickr)
July 23, 2014 | Background: On July 21, 2014, I received a phone call from a female U.S. military fighter pilot. She happens to be gay. She is not "out", despite the fact that the odious "don't ask don't tell" policy no longer burdens the American armed forces and has been justly abolished. She knows well that homophobia is still rampant in the ranks, which is why the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) currently has 863 LGBTQ clients among our current number of over 38,000 U.S. military members and veterans, 96% of whom are practicing Christians themselves. She related that she had just experienced a loud conversation in her squadron area where a number of her fellow pilots were robustly cheering on Tony Dungy's comments about how he would never have drafted Michael Sam for a team for which he was head coach and why. Michael Sam is the NFL's first openly gay player. She told me that her fellow pilots were effusively praising Dungy's "honesty" etc. She was terribly distraught. She asked me what I thought about it. This Op-Ed is my response to her.
A maelstrom of extremism is battering the United States of America, weakening and eroding the fundamental values of tolerance and inclusion embodied by our beautiful Constitution. The name of this extremist threat? Fundamentalist Christianity or "Dominionism." This disturbing storm trend has entailed the infiltration of all fields of social life in U.S. schools, military bases, and a plethora of other key fora. Indeed, the three branches of civilian government have become bloody battlegrounds for the advancement of a hateful and bigoted agenda of American Christian extremist exceptionalism and supremacy. Big-box retailers, chicken sandwich purveyors, school boards and school districts, police departments, fire departments, sewage workers, legislatures, celebrities, and sports figures have served no small role as pawns, masterminds, and auxiliaries in this seditious modern-day brutal Crusade. A case in point is former Super Bowl-winning NFL head coach, NBC commentator, and unabashed homophobe, Tony Dungy.
Mikey Weinstein is founder and president of the six-time Nobel Peace Prize-nominated Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), an honor graduate of the Air Force Academy, and a former J.A.G. in the U.S. Air Force.
Full story …
The lawless religious right: Time to stop caving to their ridiculous tantrums, Katie McDonough, Salon
- With a whole new set of complaints and demands, here's how to finally stand up to the terror they're wreaking.
- Right's Stupidity Spreads, Enabled by Too-Polite Left.
The Evangelical Persecution Complex, Alan Noble, The Atlantic
- The theological and cultural roots of a damaging attitude in the Christian community
- Tony Dungy, a Hypocritical Creature From the Ignorant Abyss of American Christian Extremism