- Fighting the Culture of Political Bullshit OR Karl Rove, the architect of Bush's career, privately said 'Fuck the truth; all that matters is the reality that we make people swallow.'
- Part 1: How Popular Music’s Lyrics Perpetuate American Idiocy
- Part 2: Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free
- Bill Moyers | Susan Jacoby on American Ignorance
Compiled by David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
Part 1: How Popular Music’s Lyrics Perpetuate American Idiocy
(Image: Lance Page / Truthout; Adapted: Sean McMenemy, Paula Bailey)
- The author of aptly titled Idiot America, journalist Charles Pierce, thoroughly summed up the issue this way: “The rise of idiot America today represents–for profit mainly, but also and more cynically, for political advantage in the pursuit of power–the breakdown of a consensus that the pursuit of knowledge is a good.”
- Unfortunately, if the lyrics study is a prognostic omen, the epidemic of idiocy will only get worse.
Claire Bernish, Anti-Media
May 20, 2015 | A recent study served to confirm the patently obvious: song lyrics for the most popular genres of music are ridiculously obtuse — and getting worse over time. Though this might not be a revelation, the figures are distressing indicators of both an intellectually vapid societal and cultural future as well as its apparent inevitability.
If you’ve already moved away from Billboard music, congratulations, you refuse to be insulted. But if you haven’t, or if you’re concerned about pop culture trends acting as portents of systemic dysfunction, you should probably pay attention. Andrew Powell-Morse of SeatSmart studied the “Lyric Intelligence” of 225 Billboard songs in the Pop, Country, Hip-hop, and Rock genres that spent three or more weeks parked at the top of the charts to analyze any changes over the course of ten years. And change there was.
Claire Bernish: Journalist with @theantimedia1 http://theantimedia.org; Editor with @PontiacTribune http://pontiactribune.com; Activist; Stereotype-smasher
Full story …
Journalism with real independence and integrity is a rare thing. All reader supported Evergreene Digest relies - exclusively!- on reader donations. Click on the donation button above to make a contribution and support our work.
Part 2: Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free
A veteran journalist's acidically funny, righteously angry lament about the glorification of ignorance in the United States.
Described in goodreads
In the midst of a career-long quest to separate the smart from the pap, Charles Pierce had a defining moment at the Creation Museum in Kentucky, where he observed a dinosaur. Wearing a saddle.... But worse than this was when the proprietor exclaimed to a cheering crowd, “We are taking the dinosaurs back from the evolutionists!” He knew then and there it was time to try and salvage the Land of the Enlightened, buried somewhere in this new Home of the Uninformed.
With his razor-sharp wit and erudite reasoning, Pierce delivers a gut-wrenching, side-splitting lament about the glorification of ignorance in the United States, and how a country founded on intellectual curiosity has somehow deteriorated into a nation of simpletons more apt to vote for an American Idol contestant than a presidential candidate.
Charles P. Pierce is a staff writer for Grantland and the author of Idiot America. He writes regularly for Esquire, is the lead writer for Esquire.com’s Politics blog, and is a frequent guest on NPR.
Full story …
Bill Moyers | Susan Jacoby on American Ignorance, Bill Moyers, Bill Moyers & Company
- The author and free thinker discusses the rise of ignorance in our classrooms, our culture and our politics.
- An Absolutely Shocking Statistic about America's Education System