- The prejudice against children begins from an immoderate desire for order.
- Special Project | The War on Children: Week Ending January 9, 2016
Bruce Frohnen, The Imaginative Conservative / Intellectual Takeout
March 15, 2016 | The world has now seen several decades of something quite new: explicitly anti-child policies. By this one might think I am referring to the “one-child” policy in China. And to a certain extent I am. Fines and the withholding of education and other services, not to mention forced abortions, rather comfortably fit within any definition of “anti-child;” so we may take the Chinese de-population experiment as a model of the type. As to the results: The demographic implosion the Chinese regime’s murderous policies have wrought has proven so dangerous to that country’s economic and social infrastructure that the government has sought to reverse course on its more draconian methods. But this reversal will prove too little, too late, just as it has in Japan, where the demographic implosion has been proceeding for much longer than in China, and has produced a prolonged, painful, and seemingly irreversible contraction of economic activity and wealth. And this is what we have been experiencing only slightly less obviously, in the West. It is time we reassessed our own anti-child policies and, more important, their bases in bad social theory, personal motivations, and theology.
Institutions and entire societies are literally being hollowed out from the inside by a refusal to have children. As anyone who pays attention to such things has noticed, the downward spiral of populations is far from just an east Asian phenomenon. Europe has been demographically imploding for decades and has suffered prolonged periods of slow and no growth, along with mounting pressures on retirement systems and chronically high unemployment rates, with massive underemployment and youth unemployment. Sadly Americans, as with so many things, believe themselves immune to the sicknesses attendant on the European policies our political elites seek to follow. Yet we have been in demographic decline as well. The decline has been slowed only by wave after wave of (often illegal and more often culturally ill-conceived) immigration. Economic activity is stagnating and businesses are having trouble finding workers and even customers (here universities are merely the tip of a very large iceberg).
Bruce Frohnen is a Senior Contributor at The Imaginative Conservative.
Full story …
Now you can follow Evergreene Digest on Twitter <https://twitter.com/evergreenediges>.
Special Project | The War on Children: Week Ending January 9, 2016, Compiled by David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
- The United States is one of the few countries in the world that puts children in supermax prisons, tries them as adults, incarcerates them for exceptionally long periods of time, defines them as super predators, pepper sprays them for engaging in peaceful protests, and, in an echo of the discourse of the war on terror, describes them as 'teenage time bombs.'
- 6 New Items including:
- Conservatives Threaten School For Reading Book About A Transgender Girl. Their Response Was Perfect
- Children’s Day And Child Labour: Lost Childhood
- Adults Are the Problem
- Schoolkids in Handcuffs
- Teacher's Facebook resignation post goes viral because she is 100% right
- Lets Stop Shaming Ourselves for Having Robust and Healthy Sex Lives