- Cutting Social Security to protect the Pentagon from cuts would destroy American jobs, because Social Security checks - and all other forms of domestic spending - boost the economy more than unnecessary Pentagon spending does.
- Ask Krugman, Reich, Stiglitz: With Borrowing Capped (Sequester), Won't More Pentagon Spending Destroy Jobs?
Robert Naiman, Just Foreign Policy
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates from Evergreene Digest.
October 11, 2013 | Cutting Social Security is the latest Republican ransom demand in exchange for letting the government re-open and avoiding default. 
What's even more breathtaking about this is that it's widely expected that a "Grand Bargain" budget deal demanded by Republicans would not only cut Social Security, but would also cancel currently planned cuts to the Pentagon budget.
In addition to being unfair to people who rely on Social Security and will rely on it in the future - a benefit we've already paid for through our payroll taxes - cutting Social Security to protect the Pentagon from cuts would destroy American jobs, because Social Security checks - and all other forms of domestic spending - boost the economy more than unnecessary Pentagon spending does.
This economic fact was proved in a 2011 study by economists at the University of Massachusetts.
But most Americans don't know this fact yet because leading progressive economists - people like Paul Krugman, Robert Reich, and Joe Stiglitz - haven't made a point of telling people about it. 
We'd like to change that. Can you give us a hand?
We set up a petition at MoveOn to Krugman, Reich, and Stiglitz: Almost 10,000 people have signed it. Can you sign and share the petition to help us get over 10,000? Then we'll share it with Krugman, Reich, and Stiglitz and ask them to respond.
Ask a Keynesian: With Borrowing Capped, Won't More Pentagon Spending Destroy Jobs?
Here's the petition text:
"Prominent Keynesian economist "public intellectuals," like Paul Krugman, Robert Reich, and Joe Stiglitz should help educate the public about the fact that in the current federal budget political environment, with federal borrowing capped by the Budget Control Act and increased taxes on the super-rich judged politically off the table, more Pentagon spending will destroy American jobs. The money for increased Pentagon spending will come from cuts to domestic spending and increased taxes on the middle class, and taking money out of the domestic economy will destroy more jobs than the increased Pentagon spending will create."
Please help us educate more Americans about the real trade-offs at stake by signing and sharing our petition.
Thanks for all you do to help redirect our national priorities from war to human needs.
P.S. I wrote about this campaign at Truthout. You can sign and share that here.
1. "You'll Never Guess What's in the Latest Republican Ransom Note," Mike Hall, AFL-CIO, 10/09/2013
2. "The U.S. Employment Effects of Military and Domestic Spending Priorities: 2011 Update," Robert Pollin & Heidi Garrett-Peltier, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, December 2011
3. "Ask a Keynesian: With U.S. Borrowing Capped, Won't More Pentagon Spending Destroy Jobs?" Robert Naiman, Truthout, 10/07/2013