- “I’d like people to go to climatedirectaction.org and sign up,” author and environmental activist Bill McKibben said. “We are going to be issuing calls for people to be involved in civil disobedience. I’d like people to join in this campaign against the U.S. Chamber of Commerce."
- Krugman | Climate-change deniers can't handle the inconvenient truth
- Catastrophic Weather Events Are Becoming the New Normal
- Chomsky | The Dice Are Stacked Against Humanity
Chris Hedges, Truthdig
This article is made possible with the generous contributions of readers like you. Thank you!
Global climate change has made for freak storms and more intense weather. Here, a tornado touches down in Iowa in 2008. AP / Lori Mehmen
The rapid and terrifying acceleration of global warming, which is disfiguring the ecosystem at a swifter pace than even the gloomiest scientific studies predicted a few years ago, has been confronted by the power elite with two kinds of self-delusion. There are those, many of whom hold elected office, who dismiss the science and empirical evidence as false. There are others who accept the science surrounding global warming but insist that the human species can adapt.
Our only salvation—the rapid dismantling of the fossil fuel industry—is ignored by both groups. And we will be led, unless we build popular resistance movements and carry out sustained acts of civil disobedience, toward collective self-annihilation by dimwitted pied pipers and fools.
Those who concede that the planet is warming but insist we can learn to live with it are perhaps more dangerous than the buffoons who decide to shut their eyes. It is horrifying enough that the House of Representatives voted 240-184 this spring to defeat a resolution that said that “climate change is occurring, is caused largely by human activities, and poses significant risks for public health and welfare.” But it is not much of an alternative to trust those who insist we can cope with the effects while continuing to burn fossil fuels.
Climate-change deniers can't handle the inconvenient truth, Paul Krugman, New York Times | NY
- When a noted climate-change skeptic reported a major study found a significant global-warming trend the response by climate-change deniers was predictable and revealing.
- Also revealed was a willingness of Republicans to try to stack the decks against climate science.
- “My Fear is that Climate Change is the Biggest Crisis of All” --Naomi Klein
Catastrophic Weather Events Are Becoming the New Normal, Bill McKibben, AlterNet
- For two decades now we've been ignoring the impassioned pleas of scientists that our burning of fossil fuels was a bad idea. And now we're paying a heavy price.
- Are You Ready for Life on Our Planet Circa 2011?
- The Planet Keeps Warming, But U.S. Media Interest Cools
- Fox News Boss Ordered Staffers To Cast Doubt On Climate Change Science
- An Answer for Bill O'Reilly
The Dice Are Stacked Against Humanity, Noam Chomsky, Countercurrents.org
With the environmental crisis, we’re now in a situation where we can decide whether Mayr was right or not. If nothing significant is done about it, and pretty quickly, then he will have been correct: human intelligence is indeed a lethal mutation. Maybe some humans will survive, but it will be scattered and nothing like a decent existence, and we’ll take a lot of the rest of the living world along with us.