- This is a teachable moment for the nation that presents an opportunity to transform policing so it serves the people.
- To Terrify and Occupy
- Cops Behaving Badly, June 28,2014
Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers, Popular Resistance
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates from all reader supported Evergreene Digest.
Resist! Militarized Police, Police Abuse, Racism
August 17th, 2014 | The killing of Michael Brown by a Ferguson, MO police officer, who was identified Friday as Darren Wilson, and the aftermath in which nonviolent protesters and reporters were met with a violent and militarized police force have exposed something that has been building for years. Many have written about the militarization of the police and the disproportionate impact they have on people of color, but now more Americans are seeing this reality and cannot escape it.
Michael Brown is one of four unarmed black men killed in the last month (alone) by police. On July 17, Eric Garner was killed by an illegal chokehold in New York. On August 5, John Crawford was shot in a store in Beavercreek, OH. Just after Brown’s death, on August 9 Ezell Ford, a young man with known mental illness, was shot in Los Angeles. These are four examples of many, according to a recent study, a black man is killed every 28 hours by police, security guards or vigilantes. The whole nation is experiencing these tragedies; reality is being forced upon us.
Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers are participants in Popular Resistance. They also co-direct It’s Our Economy and are co-hosts of Clearing the FOG, shown on UStream TV and heard on radio.
Full story …
To Terrify and Occupy, Matthew Harwood, TomDispatch / Truthdig
- One Nation Under SWAT
- When law enforcement is law and order’s biggest threat
Cops Behaving Badly, June 28,2014, Compiled by David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
- Search on the internet "police brutality" or "police excessive force." If you search YouTube, there are many videos of cops acting WAY beyond their limits.
- Part 1: A SWAT Team Blew a Hole in My 2-Year-Old Son
- Part 2: US police departments are increasingly militarised, finds report
- Widespread Police Misconduct and an Expanding Prison Population