- The exit from a dystopian future does not rest with a brave individual or a small group of high tech activists who undermine the state. Rather, it rests in winning the confidence of millions that there is an alternative to chaos and dystopia that is not to be found in one or another variant of authoritarianism. This is the challenge for the global Left .
- The United States of Cruelty
- America's Disgusting, Boundless Hatred for Poor People
Bill Fletcher, Jr., Alternet
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates from all reader supported Evergreene Digest.
May 29, 2015 | In a lecture at Harvard during my freshman year, a professor—who may have been Martin Peretz—offered an insight that left a profound impact upon me. “Citizen,” the professor noted, was a unique and quite revolutionary concept. Different from many other terms, e.g., “comrade,” the notion of citizen implied a specific relationship between an individual and the polity. It specifically suggested a role for the individual within a state system in which said individual was a participant/actor rather than an observer.
Since the resurrection of the concept of “citizen,” in the context of the French Revolution, the term along with “citizenship” has been contested terrain.(1) There is no universally accepted criteria as to how one becomes a citizen of a nation-state. Countries differ greatly on whether being born in a particular territory is sufficient for such definition; under what conditions one can apply to become a citizen; how and under what circumstances can one’s children become citizens? These questions are not answered the same way in any number of Earth’s nation-states.
Bill Fletcher, Jr. is the host of the Global African on Telesur-English, the author of They’re Bankrupting Us: And Twenty Other Myths About Unions, and the co-author of Solidarity Divided: The Crisis in Organized Labor and a New Path to Social Justice.
Full story …
The United States of Cruelty, Charles P. Pierce, Esquire
- We are cheap. We are suspicious. We will shoot first. It does not have to be this way. Like Lincoln before us, it is time to do something about it.
- GOP Descent into Mindless Meanness
America's Disgusting, Boundless Hatred for Poor People, Brittney Cooper, Salon
- We're now legislating away poor people's right to be happy.
- Nixon's racial Southern Strategy applied to the economically poor.
- Richer and Poorer: How much inequality can a democracy stand?