- Austerity kills -- radical cuts destroy economies and lives, and the honest numbers and economics keep proving it.
- Excerpted from "The Body Economic: Why Austerity Kills"
- How America Became a Third World Country (2013-2023)
- The Real Cost of Austerity
David Stuckler and Sanjay Basu, Salon
This article is made possible with the generous contributions of all reader supported Evergreene Digest readers like you. Thank you!
Sunday, May 19, 2013 | “I will never forgive them,” wrote 13-year-old Kieran McArdle to the Daily Record, a national newspaper based in Glasgow. “I won’t be able to come to terms with my dad’s death until I get justice for him.”
Kieran’s father, 57-year-old Brian, had worked as a security guard in Lanarkshire, near Glasgow. The day after Christmas 2011, Brian had a stroke, which left him paralyzed on his left side, blind in one eye, and unable to speak. He could no longer continue working to support his family, so he signed up for disability income from the British government.
How America Became a Third World Country (2013-2023), Mattea Kramer and Jo Comerford‚ TomDispatch
- Too few Americans -- with too little influence -- spoke up, and Washington didn’t listen. The rest of the story, as you well know, is history.
- What a grim scene you have: a country investing in war in distant lands as it crumbles here at home.
The Real Cost of Austerity, Truthdig
- It’s high time our elected officials started listening to the wisdom of economists like Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman, who for months has been consistently warning us about the dangers of austerity. And once again, he’s been proved right.
- Austerity debunked, Aljazeera
- Everything We Know About What’s Happened Under Sequestration