- “…it seems that our remedies are instinctively those which aggravate the sickness: the remedies are expressions of the sickness itself“. --Thomas Merton
- 8 New Items including:
- The Piketty Panic
- America’s rotting empire
- The Shocking Numbers Behind Corporate Welfare
- America is Falling Behind, Way Behind
- Why the Minimum Wage Should Really Be Raised to $15 an Hour
- Who Controls our Government? The Psychopathic Corporate Elites of America
- Welcome to Satan’s Ball
- Series | Are Polluting Mining Corporations like PolyMet Sociopathic? Part II
David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
The Piketty Panic, Paul Krugman, New York (NY) Times
It has been amazing to watch conservatives, one after another, denounce Mr. Piketty as a Marxist. Even Mr. Pethokoukis, who is more sophisticated than the rest, calls “Capital” a work of “soft Marxism,” which only makes sense if the mere mention of unequal wealth makes you a Marxist.
America’s rotting empire, CJ Werleman, AlterNet
- Billionaires galore and a crumbling infrastructure
- More proof we're in rapid decline: Not a single U.S. city currently ranks among the world's most livable
- We're NOT Number 1: Guess Which Country Now Has a More Affluent Middle Class Than America?
- 5 Ways American Policies and Attitudes Make Us Lonely, Anxious, and Antisocial
The Shocking Numbers Behind Corporate Welfare, David Cay Johnston, Al-Jazeera America
- In fact, the numbers significantly understate the true value of taxpayer subsidies made by state and local government agencies to businesses, , including cash giveaways, building and land transfers, tax abatements and steep discounts on electric and water bills, for reasons explained here.
- 10 Corporate Behemoths Stifling Competition and Delivering Awful Service to You
America is Falling Behind, Way Behind, Compiled by David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
- The poor in much of Europe earn more than poor Americans.
- Part 1: We're NOT Number 1: Guess Which Country Now Has a More Affluent Middle Class Than America?
- Part 2: 5 Ways American Policies and Attitudes Make Us Lonely, Anxious, and Antisocial
Why the Minimum Wage Should Really Be Raised to $15 an Hour, Robert Reich, TruthDig
- We should be raising the federal minimum to $15 an hour.
- Here are seven reasons why.
- Series | Minimum Wage: Part 1, How taxpayers subsidize low-wage workers
Who Controls our Government? The Psychopathic Corporate Elites of America, Richard Gale and Dr. Gary Null, Global Research
- Is it only me or is there something fundamentally flawed with the people who are running our government, including the autocrats, technocrats and bureaucrats who number in the hundreds of thousands? Does it bother you that the Wall Street banks and major corporations, many of our academia and religious institutions and our medical, military and intelligence gathering complexes, Big Pharma and Big Insurance have their needs met at the expense of everyone else? They control our government. We don’t. Instead we fear our government.
- Welcome to Satan’s Ball
- Series | Are Polluting Mining Corporations like PolyMet Sociopathic?
Welcome to Satan’s Ball, Chris Hedges, Truthdig
Our elites have established the most efficient system of mass surveillance in history. They have abolished most of our civil liberties. They have trashed our economy for their own personal gain. They have looted state treasuries and thrown working men and women aside. Satan is again holding a great ball. You are not invited. I am not invited. Only the gangsters will be there. Putin will be an honored guest. So will Obama.
Series | Are Polluting Mining Corporations like PolyMet Sociopathic? Part II, Gary G. Kohls, Duty to Warn
- "Slavery is the legal fiction that a person is property. Corporate personhood is the legal fiction that property is a person." -- Anonymous
- Series | Are Polluting Mining Corporations like PolyMet Sociopathic?, Part I
- Duluth doctors: PolyMet study skips health impacts