- But none of (what we need to do) will be likely unless, in our grief and fear, we also muster up clarity and outrage. Right now - before the public debate is recaptured by questions of which politician said what to whom.
- Special Project | The War on Children: Week of December 16
- The US Military Approves Bombing Children
- 60 Mass Shootings Since Tucson
- Sikh temple shooting sheds light on world of 'hate rock’
- Batman Shooter and His Psyche Drugs
Rinku Sen, ColorLines
At a time when corporations are buying up elections - not to mention the 24-hour news cycle - help ensure that a source for truly independent journalism lives on. Support all reader supported Evergreene Digest today by using the donation button in the above right-hand corner.
Submitted by Evergreene Digest Contributing Editor Lydia Howell
(August 6 2012) It could be terrorism, but we don't yet know. It could be someone who has a beef with Sikhs. It's too early to talk about gun control. These statements ran in a continuous loop through my head yesterday, even when I wasn't watching coverage of the mass shooting at an active gurdwara in a suburb of Milwaukee. Throughout the day, the hollowness in my solar plexus signaled grief and the tightness in my throat signaled panic, and I felt deep, deep resistance to the notion of saying anything about it. What is there to say that isn't a cliche?
Details are going to emerge in the coming days, but I already know what they'll amount to. A white man, in his 40's, nursing resentment over 9/11 for more than a decade, planned for a long time to kill some "enemies." The guns will turn out to be legally acquired, or if not, so accessible as to make the law meaningless. The man will turn out to be mad. In the debate, people will argue that the cause is racism...no, it's gun
control...no, it's mental health. It is impossible for us to navigate the deadly tangle of all three.
The US Military Approves Bombing Children, Robert Dreyfuss, Nation
- Some Afghan kids aren’t bystanders
- If Our Drones Are So Accurate, Why Do Their Missiles Keep Hitting Children? Obama's Drone Presidency
- There must be accountability for US drone strikes
- US detained hundreds of Afghan teenagers
Special Project | The War on Children: Week of December 16, David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
- The United States is one of the few countries in the world that puts children in supermax prisons, tries them as adults, incarcerates them for exceptionally long periods of time, defines them as super predators, pepper sprays them for engaging in peaceful protests, and, in an echo of the discourse of the war on terror, describes them as 'teenage time bombs.'
- 10 New Items including:
- Charlie Fuqua, Arkansas Legislative Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious Children
- 5 Biggest Lies About America's Public Schools -- Debunked
- Child abuse in my church
- Texas district expands corporal punishment policy
- How The American University was Killed, in Five Easy Steps
- Test-and-Punish Doesn't Educate, but It's Profitable for Testing Companies
- A Chicago Teacher Speaks Out: This Is Why We Fight
- How to Kill Student Curiosity in 12 Easy Steps
- What's Race Got to Do With It? A History of Child Care in America
- "No Excuses" and the Culture of Shame: The Miseducation of Our Nation's Children
60 Mass Shootings Since Tucson, Brady Campaign
- There have been 60 mass shootings in the United States since the January 8, 2011 massacre in Tucson, Arizona.
- Sign the Brady Campaign petition to President Obama and Governor Romney to provide solutions to gun violence.
- Batman Shooter and His Psyche Drugs
Sikh temple shooting sheds light on world of 'hate rock’, Patrick Condon and Todd Richmond, Associated Press / Minneapolis (MN) Star Tribune
- The subculture acts as a money raiser and recruiting tool for white supremacists, insiders say.
- Hollywood skirts blame in 'Dark Knight' shooting
Batman Shooter and His Psyche Drugs, Gary G. Kohls, Duty to Warn
The Taboo Question: What were the brain-altering psych drugs that the Batman Shooter might have been taking or withdrawing from?