JFK Muslim Ban Protest Photo: ACLU
- Instead of abandoning this odious idea in response to widespread criticism and outrage, Mr. Trump candidly explained that he would change the wording of his proposal but not its substance.
- Related: Trump Scrubs Civil Rights, LGBTQ Rights, Climate Change from WhiteHouse.gov
Cody Wofsy, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) / Rise Up Times
March 10, 2017 | Today President Trump signed a new Muslim ban. The new executive order is a major retreat by the administration, reflecting that, as courts around the country have recognized, the original order was deeply flawed and totally unjustified. But the fundamental truth of this new order, like the old one, remains unchanged: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and the ban is his attempt to make good on that unconstitutional and indefensible goal.
President Trump’s intentions regarding the Muslim ban have been clear. In a statement “On Preventing Muslim Immigration” posted to his campaign website — and still available on it as I write — then-candidate Trump called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.” Again and again, he refused to disown this proposal, expressing his opinion that “Islam hates us” and that there are “problems with Muslims coming into the country.”
Cody Wofsy: Skadden Fellow, ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project
Full story …
Producing in-depth, thoughtful journalism for a better world is expensive – but supporting us isn’t. If you value ad-free independent journalism, consider supporting Evergreene Digest today.
Dave & the Crew
Trump Scrubs Civil Rights, LGBTQ Rights, Climate Change from WhiteHouse.gov, David A. Love, The Grio / Black Commentator
- "These dramatic changes to the White House website mirror the drastic and draconian cuts this president plans to make to the government. To sum it up, he’s getting rid of everything."
- Censorship already begun.
- Related: Disabled, Shunned and Silenced in Trump’s America