Reader Supported News, FireDogLake, Guardian UK, Nation, Liberation News
Sentencing Phase of Bradley Manning's Trial, Day 8 (Live Updates), Kevin Gosztola, FireDogLake
- Friday Aug. 9, 2013 | The government is scheduled to wrap its sentencing case in the trial of Pfc. Bradley Manning. Somewhere around half of the sentencing phase has been closed to the press and public for testimony involving alleged damage or harm caused by Manning’s disclosures to WikiLeaks.
- The defense has objected to evidence in testimony throughout the government’s sentencing case because, as they have argued, it is speculative or examples of anything that directly resulted from his disclosures.
Manning Judge Rejects Claim Leaks Had 'Chilling Effect', Associated Press / Guardian (UK)
09 August 13 | The judge at US soldier Bradley Manning's sentencing hearing rejected some government evidence Wednesday that the classified information he disclosed through the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks had a "chilling effect" on US foreign relations.
Cold War Mentality, Indeed, cocktailhag, FireDogLake
Thursday August 8, 2013 | In President Obama’s lie-laden softball interview with an increasingly doddering Grandpa once known as Jay Leno, he said one thing that made me laugh out loud, rather than merely shake my fist, slap my forehead, and down ever-larger gulps of alcohol, as I had been doing before and after. In that Harvard-esque, dismissive tone that infuriates me just as much as it does your average tooth-deficient Confederate-American, Mr. Hope and Change had the gall to utter that Russia was relapsing into a “cold war mentality.”
Military Court Reduces Maximum Punishment That May Be Imposed Against Bradley Manning, Kevin Gosztola, FireDogLake
Tuesday August 6, 2013 | A military judge partially granted a defense motion to merge specifications or offenses for “unreasonable multiplication of charges” in the sentencing phase of Pfc. Bradley Manning’s trial.
06 August 13 | Shame on this president for persecuting whistleblowers with a legal relic, while administration officials leak with impunity.
Bradley Manning's Mother Urges Him to 'Never Give Up Hope', Robert Booth, Guardian UK
06 August 13 | Susan Manning, who lives in Wales and has not seen her son since 2011, makes rare statement as the sentencing phase of his trial is enters second week.
The Trials of Bradley Manning, Chase Madar, Nation
- July 31, 2013 | It is Bradley Manning we have put on trial, not the impresarios of war, not the CIA torturers or their lawyers. The Iraq War, which began with a lurid overture of secrecy and lies, is now getting its dissonant coda: a private court-martialed for telling the truth, a trial unfolding behind a thick wall of official secrecy. The past decade has witnessed the carnage unleashed by militarized cluelessness. In the story of Bradley Manning, who has been the ethical citizen and who the rampaging criminals?
- His conviction on Espionage Act charges poses grave dangers for American journalism.
- The Chilling Manning Trial
The fight to free Bradley Manning is not over, Liberation News
July 30, 2013 | He blew the whistle on war crimes, setting an example of resistance for all people, especially those in the military, to follow.