- After this verdict, it is even clearer that Black people do not have a meaningful right to defend themselves in the US.
- If Trayvon had been the one armed, and shot Zimmerman, he would have been doomed - if he wasn't killed by police during the arrest, he would have been virtually guaranteed a guilty verdict in a trial.
- Zimmerman saga was all about race
Justin Podur, Countercurrents.org
This article is made possible with the generous contributions of all reader supported Evergreene Digest readers like you. Thank you!
18 July, 2013 | Misinformation about martial arts seems to have played a role in the Zimmerman verdict. Because of the mass popularity of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), there is an assumption that people know more about martial arts than they actually do.
When the defense asked Zimmerman's MMA (mixed martial arts) trainer to demonstrate the 'mount' position and the 'ground-and-pound', the defense's theory was based on two propositions.
1. That Zimmerman was mounted, with Trayvon on top, raining punches down on him.
2. That the mounted position is a hopeless position for the person on the bottom.
Zimmerman saga was all about race, Paul Campos, Salon
Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 | Let's Get Real