- The week-long Israeli onslaught against largely defenseless Palestinians in Gaza that began on November 14 provides a basis for assessing how Western corporate media whitewash the war crimes of America’s foremost ally in the Middle East. There are three often intertwined techniques consciously applied to such news coverage—historical context, sourcing, and objectification of the enemy to be targeted. Such practices can readily transform journalism into propaganda that acts to abet such crimes while at the same time allowing journalistic institutions to still claim the mantle of “objectivity.”
- The Hitler gun control lie
- FDL Fact Sheet: The Truth About the Health Care Bill
James F. Tracy, Global Research
If you like reading this article, consider contributing a cafe latte to all reader-supported Evergreene Digest--using the donation button above—so we can bring you more just like it.
November 24, 2012 | Such methods are on full display in the reportage of Israel’s most recent operation in Gaza. The use of such propaganda fits within a broader campaign of media disinformation that subdues potential outrage—particularly in the US—over Israel’s overwhelming use of force against an oppressed and vulnerable people, most of whom are civilians.
Meaningful historical context for understanding Israel’s aggression is almost entirely absent from most Western news coverage of the event. If present, such context would illuminate Israeli government officials’ true motivations for a military venture that involved 750 airstrikes in four days alone. “’Operation Pillar of Defense,’” Nile Bowie observes,
launched just months away from Israel’s elections, is a calculated component of the Netanyahu government’s strategy to topple Hamas and continue absorbing Palestinian territory. Decades of occupation and apartheid have shaped the current scenario; Israel has dehumanized an entire people by seizing their land and forcing them into prison-like ghettoes. Adherents to political Zionism have shown contempt for a genuine political solution to the Palestinian conflict, and the Netanyahu administration is poised to crush all opposition to the Jewish state.
The Hitler gun control lie, Alex Seiz-Wald, Salon
- Gun rights activists who cite the dictator as a reason against gun control have their history dangerously wrong
- Tell ALEC's corporate funders to stop sanctioning profit-driven gun violence
- Watch: Hyper-Pro-Gun Activist's Argument Gets Destroyed By Smart Lady's Calm Decency
FDL Fact Sheet: The Truth About the Health Care Bill, firedog lake
- The bill will not bring down premiums significantly, and certainly not the $2,500/year that the President promised.
- The bill will impose a financial hardship on middle class Americans who will be forced to buy a product that they can’t afford to use.
- U.S. mentally ill and their families face barriers to care
- Papa John’s Obamacare idiocy
- Liz Fowler and the government-corporate revolving door