You are here

Peace & Nonviolence

Peace & Nonviolence Logo

Rumsfeld Rules of Engagement Allowing 30 Innocent Civilian Murders for Every One High Value Target

God's reasoning is in inverse proportion to the Pentagon's. Then with the gift of God's son Jesus, the whole calculus of war is subtracted. "Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you. Mt 5:44.

Michael McCarthy, Pax Vobiscum

Submitted by Evergreene Digest Contributing Editor Gary Kohls

“…a former targeting expert who'd worked for the Pentagon in the initial "Shock and
Awe" campaign said (on National Public Radio’s “This American Life”) that the threshold ratio not to be exceeded was 30 civilians to be killed in order to execute one high value target.1

“There you have it--the morally callous thinking that is prohibited by the principles of our Christian faith. Decapitate the leadership to end the war sooner, despite "taking out" innocents at the same time. The concept of "collateral damage" has been invented to obfuscate the fact of the certain unavoidable deaths of great numbers of civilians in all of these wars fought in population centers, large and small.

“In Afghanistan / Pakistan this has been one of the major issues in the conduct of the war, with many innocents being killed in bombings and raids. Our armed forces are given woefully insufficient information on who is friend and who is foe, and more enemies are being created daily as more civilians die in Predator drone attacks and special forces missions. We might sometimes "get our man" but the local community is more deeply turned against us.

" [Classified] documents were posted by WikiLeaks, an organization dedicated to public disclosure, shortly before the Afghan government said (Monday, 7-26-10] that "up to" 52 Afghan civilians have been killed in a coalition rocket attack on a village in southern Helmand province [last week]." 2 The Afghan government is using the 90,000 pages to further their persistent demands, over the past 9 years of U.S. occupation, that civilians be protected.

“The ratio of 30 innocents that can be sacrificed for 1 bad insurgent, has not changed, to my knowledge, since instituted by Donald Rumsfeld’s Dept. of Defense--no public report of any alteration in these rules of engagement. Contrast these numbers with the dialogue between Abraham and God in last Sunday's Old Testament reading. [Gen 18:20-32] Abraham bargains for mercy with God – Sodom & Gomorrah are to be destroyed because of their tremendous evil. But will God destroy the innocent with the guilty? Would God spare the whole evil city if only 50 just individuals are found? The bargaining continues by tens down to 10, and God agrees. If only 10 innocent are found then a whole city of evil-doers survives.

“God's reasoning is in inverse proportion to the Pentagon's. Then with the gift of God's son Jesus, the whole calculus of war is subtracted. "Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you." Mt 5:44.”

1 At 21 minutes into This American Life, Act 1, Mark Velasco tells his story of being a targeter for the Pentagon. [This is the only place in the media I've seen this discussed--worth listening to the whole program]: Stream the story at:
<http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/300/Whats-In-A-Number>

2 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704700404575391164167045700.html?mod=WSJ_newsreel_world

Section(s): 

Fact Check: Is Iraq combat really over for US?

  • Despite President Barack Obama's declaration Tuesday (August 31) of an end to the combat mission in Iraq, combat almost certainly lies ahead.
  • The occupation of Iraq isn't over - it's being rebranded

Calvin Woodward, Associated Press, New York Times | NY

Iraqi policemen stand guard at a check point in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010. Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said the end of American combat operations Tuesday leaves his country independent and an equal to the United States and he assured his people their own security forces will protect them.

Despite President Barack Obama's declaration Tuesday (August 31) of an end to the combat mission in Iraq, combat almost certainly lies ahead.

And in asserting the U.S. has met its responsibilities in Iraq, the president opened the door wide to a debate about the meaning of success in the muddle that most — but not all — American troops are leaving behind.

A look at some of the statements Obama made in his Oval Office speech and how they compare with the facts:
More...

Related:

The occupation of Iraq isn't over - it's being rebranded, Debra Sweet, World Can't Wait

  • The occupation of Iraq is only being re-branded, not ended. Despite President Obama's fallacious claims that the war in Iraq is winding down, the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment is deploying!
  • We Are Not Your Soldiers!
  • Collateral Murder: U.S. Soldier Ethan McCord's Eyewitness Story

Section(s): 

Medal of Honor

  • "It's fun killing people.  I get to roam around and feel like soldiers feel. I've played the bad guys before, but this will be even better because it's based on the real thing. You don't want to hurt other Americans, but you've got to win the game.” --A 13 year old player.
  • The Killing Games We Play
  • War Games: Army Lures Civilians By Letting Them Play Soldier
  • Going to the Mines to Look for Diamonds

Wikipedia

Medal of Honor (MoH) is the name of a series of first-person shooter games set in World War II, and with an upcoming title based on the conflicts of present day Afghanistan that will be released in October 2010.

The first game was developed by DreamWorks Interactive (currently known as Danger Close) and published by Electronic Arts in 1999 for the PlayStation game console. Medal of Honor spawned a series of follow-up games including multiple expansions spanning various console platforms and the PC and Apple Mac. The series was created by filmmaker Steven Spielberg.

More...

Related:

The Killing Games We Play, Coleen Rowley, Evergreene Digest

The mother of a soldier killed in Iraq criticizes the fact that “In 'Medal of Honor,' gamers can play Taliban and kill U.S. soldiers” (article 8/27/2010) but sadly enough, the mother apparently can’t let herself see how the present wars do, in fact, resemble a giant game, certainly to the politicians, generals and war profiteers who started them and who play with others’ lives. 

Meanwhile, the 13 year old kid who exclaims: "It's fun killing people.  I get to roam around and feel like soldiers feel. I've played the bad guys before, but this will be even better because it's based on the real thing. You don't want to hurt other Americans, but you've got to win the game,” will probably find it easy in a few years to move from one killing game to the next. 

In the end we all lose this game.

War Games: Army Lures Civilians By Letting Them Play Soldier, Joseph De Avila, Wall Street Journal | NY

  • Recruiters Bring Lifelike Videogame To Amusement Parks, and Kids Love It
  • The Virtual Army Experience -- a traveling exhibit of the U.S. Army -- has been touring the country for the past year and a half, stopping at amusement parks, air shows and county fairs. The Army, which collects information from the thousands of people who play the game, says it's an innovative way to reach a new audience. But critics don't like the idea of the military using giant videogames as a recruiting tool.

Going to the Mines to Look for Diamonds ~ Ronald D. Fricker, Jr., and C. Christine Fair, Google Books
Experimenting with Recruiting Stations in Malls
Read free...

Section(s): 

Minneapolis Denies Permits for Anti-War March at Democratic National Convention

Officials responsible for making the decision to turn down the application for the anti war march have not even bothered to put forward coherent reasons that are consistent with the law.

Women Against Military Madness

The agency designated with the authority to issue parade permits in Minneapolis, the Public Works Department has turned down an application from the Anti-War Committee (AWC) for a mass march and rally on the opening day of the proposed Democratic National Convention.

Officials responsible for making the decision to turn down the application for the anti war march have not even bothered to put forward coherent reasons that are consistent with the law. An official told the AWC that it was too soon to submit an application. City law does not establish any dates that are “too early”—in fact the ordinance says “parade permit applications should be filed as soon as possible in advance of the parade or event.”

City officials say another reason for rejecting the permit application is because they will not approve any parade permits for a date that is not on a weekend or holiday. Leaving aside the fact that this restriction in and of itself is probably unconstitutional, the requested date for the permit is September 3, Labor Day, 2012—a legal holiday in Minneapolis.

“It’s clear City officials just do not want to see a major anti war march that coincides with the opening day of the Democratic National Convention. We have a right to protest and if the DNC is held here we will do exactly that on September 3, 2012,” states Meredith Aby, of the AWC.

“We want permits to have the largest possible march, that said we have a right to protest and the City of Minneapolis needs to understand that we will march to the site of the DNC with or without a permit. Under the slogan “Money for Human Needs, Not for War,” we will take thousands of protestors to the Metrodome if the DNC is held here,” states Deb Konechne of the Welfare Rights Committee (WRC).

Many of the organizations that were involved in the massive anti-war protests at the Republican National Convention in 2008 are joining this effort, including the AWC, WAMM, the Minnesota Immigrant Rights Action Coalition (MIRAC), WRC, and others.

For more information: Call the AWC at 612-379-3899.

Section(s): 

Peace: The Real Deficit Buster

For the first time in decades, real cuts in Pentagon spending could be on the agenda.
But military contractors and some members of Congress are demanding that no cuts be made in their favorite Pentagon projects.
Tell the deficit commission: Cut military spending, not Social Security

Joe Volk, Friends (Quakers) Committee on National Legislation (FCNL)

Recognizing that federal budget deficits will put military spending under the microscope, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has called for the Pentagon to “restrain spending.” In response, military contractors and some members of Congress are demanding that no cuts be made in their favorite Pentagon projects.

We need to mobilize thousands of concerned people to persuade Congress that deficit reduction and smart security call for real cuts in military spending.

Members of Congress should hear from you, right now. Before they return for the September legislative session, they should know that their constituents support cutting the Pentagon budget.

You can help make sure that cuts in Pentagon spending are on the table as Congress considers ways to reduce the federal government deficit. Write your representative today.

The Frank-Paul Letter

A few weeks ago, we told you that a bipartisan group of representatives—Democrat Barney Frank (MA) and Republican Ron Paul (TX) -- had presented specific recommendations for cutting almost $1 trillion from the Pentagon’s budget over the next ten years.

The Frank-Paul deficit reduction recommendations go beyond cutting the usual list of useless, expensive weapons. Instead, it proposes that the U.S. should re-think its military posture in the world to make our country safe by promoting a more peaceful world. You can find the details of their proposed military spending cuts in the report “Debt, Deficits and Defense: A Way Forward.”

Now Reps. Frank and Paul are asking their congressional colleagues to sign a letter calling on President Obama’s deficit commission to put military spending on the table. The letter will be open for signatures only until mid-September. Please ask your representative to sign it today. We think your representative might sign this letter if you and others in your district ask.

Take Action

Please contact your representative today to ask her or him to sign the Frank-Paul deficit reduction letter.
Then ask five of your family members and friends to do the same.

Background

Read the letter that Representatives Frank and Paul are circulating.
Find out more about military spending on FCNL’s website.
Read a New York Times editorial that supports Barney Frank’s call for cuts in military spending as a way to reduce the deficit.

Related:

Tell the deficit commission: Cut military spending, not Social Security, Matt Lockshin, CREDO Action

  • We need real solutions, not a manufactured crisis
  • Deficit commission almost done deciding to slash Social Security
  • Top 5 Social Security Myths


Section(s): 

Pages