- We entered the funeral knowing that Dan Berrigan’s life had changed the world and our own lives. We left hoping that his death would change these as well.
- Whether that happens is up to us.
- Related: Daniel Berrigan, Poet, Peacemaker (May 9, 1921 - April 30, 2016)
Jeremy Varon, Public Seminar
Daniel Berrigan Funeral, 2016 © Jeremy Varon
May 12, 2016 | Fidgety and a little bored in the crammed pews of the Church of St. Francis Xavier, my eight-year-old son waited with us for the service to begin. For distraction and readiness, he etched on his program, with his parents’ help: “Today we reflect on the life of Daniel Berrigan. He was a great priest, prophet, poet and peacemaker. He touched many lives with his actions and words. It is nice to be in such a beautiful church with so many people honoring a man they loved.” Simple and true, these words presaged a ceremony that edified and even transformed the two thousand or so people blessed to have been there.
Berrigan Program with Notes, 2016 © Jeremy Varon
The death on April 30 of the 94-year-old Fr. Dan Berrigan, S.J. at a Jesuit infirmary in New York City has been big news. Heartfelt obituaries have poured forth: from fellow priest and political troublemaker John Dear; from the rogue Washington Post columnist Coleman McCarthy, who for decades tried to explain radical pacifism to Beltway readers; from the New York Times, which ran an uncommonly long remembrance of Berrigan by the evening of his death; from Democracy Now, which devoted a full broadcast to his life and legacy; and from far-flung bloggers in the Catholic and peace and justice worlds.
Jeremy Varon, Associate Professor of History, The New School for Social Research
Full story …
Now you can follow Evergreene Digest on Twitter <>.
Daniel Berrigan, Poet, Peacemaker (May 9, 1921 - April 30, 2016), Compiled by David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
- "He is a most remarkable person," Fr. J. Richard Neuhaus said of Berrigan in a telephone interview, "a most devout person and a devoted priest.
- We at Tikkun magazine, the voice of Jewish progressives, liberals, radicals and anti-capitalist non-violent revolutionaries, will deeply mourn the loss of our brother Daniel Berrigan.
- Part 1: Daniel Berrigan, poet, peacemaker, dies at 94
- Part 2: Father Daniel Berrigan, z'l dead at 94