- What to make of a third violent incident involving the man who killed Trayvon Martin
- Special Project | The Problem of Race in America: Week Ending November 17
Ta-Nehisi Coates, The Atlantic
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates from Evergreene Digest.
Photo: Kristin Pelisek, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/MCT
Nov 19 2013 | Very few black people were shocked by the lamentable return of George Zimmerman to the headlines:
Mr. Zimmerman, 30, was charged with domestic aggravated assault, domestic battery and criminal mischief after he and his girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, had an argument at their home in Apopka, northwest of Orlando, said Chief Deputy Sheriff Dennis Lemma of Seminole County. Ms. Scheibe told investigators that she had asked Mr. Zimmerman to leave the residence, and that he had begun packing his belongings, including two firearms, before growing agitated and turning violent.
Deputy Lemma said that Mr. Zimmerman had “broken a table and, at one point, pointed a long-barreled shotgun” at Ms. Scheibe, who said he had aimed at her for about a minute. Later in the altercation, the authorities said, Mr. Zimmerman forced Ms. Scheibe, who was uninjured, out of the home before obstructing a doorway with furniture.
Ta-Nehisi Coates is a senior editor at The Atlantic, where he writes about culture, politics, and social issues. He is the author of the memoir The Beautiful Struggle.
Special Project | The Problem of Race in America: Week Ending November 17, David Culver, Ed., Evergreene Digest
The US Needs to Take a Close Look at How It Participates in Its Most Firmly Entrenched Folkway
10 New Items including:
- Gun Ownership And Racist Attitudes Are Linked, Study Finds
- Race A Big Factor in Government Shutdown
- The White Man’s Last Tantrum?
- Angry right gets mad when you accuse it of race-baiting!
- Race and Beyond: Why Economic Disadvantage Becomes Educational Disadvantage
- GOP launches race war to boost the 1 percent
- Racism theater: How the media, Obama and the racism industry are tearing America apart for their own selfish gain
- Primetime Racism on Fox
- Ohio Suburb Fighting to Prevent Black Bus Riders From Entering Community
- The World is Aghast Over Trayvon Martin